After completing this chapter you should be able to:
- Describe the process of cell reproduction and patterns of genetic inheritance.
- Define and provide examples of genetic disorders and chromosomal abnormalities.
- Explain how the dynamic interactions of heredity and environment influence development.
- Discuss the stages of prenatal development, stages of childbirth, and challenges for infants at risk.
- Identify the principles of teratology, types of teratogens, and ways that teratogens can be used to predict prenatal outcomes.