Review the learning objectives to reinforce the most important material.
After reading this chapter, you will be able to
- Explain the differences between mental health and mental illness, and between normal and abnormal mental health.
- Identify at least five types of serious mental health disorders.
- Explain the medicalization of mental health and its effect on individuals as well as on mental health professionals and organizations.
- Describe in broad terms how mental health has historically been defined and treated.
- Understand the importance of mental health parity and its current status.
- Identify mental health social work roles and settings.
- Recognize how diversity affects mental health and mental health treatment.