Review the learning objectives to reinforce the most important material.
After reading this chapter, you should be able to
- Identify and describe important concepts and terms in the criminal justice system.
- Analyze the contextual nature of criminal behavior, as politically defined and relative to time and place.
- Identify and describe the intended functions of punishment and imprisonment in the United States.
- Describe and explain the differences and tension between social work and criminal justice perspectives concerning criminal behavior.
- List and explain areas to advocate for change and reform in the criminal justice system.
- Describe and analyze how specific population groups are advantaged and disadvantaged in the criminal justice system.
- Describe the importance of empowerment of victims and criminals in advocating for fair and just legal processes and systems.