Review the learning objectives to reinforce the most important material.
After reading this chapter, you should be able to
- Recognize the forces shaping the American social welfare system and social policy.
- Identify the historical relevance of major social welfare programs that assist people in need.
- Explore the lives of social work pioneers.
- Describe the relationship between social welfare policy and the social work profession.
- Explain why social welfare policies that address people’s immediate needs are inadequate for promoting social justice.