Review the learning objectives to reinforce the most important material.
After reading this chapter, you should be able to
- Define international social work.
- Explain social work’s professional commitment to global human needs and rights, and social, economic and environmental justice.
- Differentiate charity from empowerment.
- Articulate key social work principles guiding international practice.
- Identify and explain important considerations for culturally competent social work practice.
- Describe major global issues in relationship to social work practice.
- Identify and describe important considerations, including safety and selfcare, for social workers entering international social work practice.