Test you understanding of key chapter concepts by working through this quiz. You can check your answer by clicking on the arrow to the right or on what you think the correct answer is. The correct answer will then be revealed to you for that question
1. Mintzberg used ___________ to establish what managers do in practice.
- Confessional accounts
2. Minztberg discovered that managers ________________.
- Are rational planners
- Are randomly disorganized
- Are extremely busy
- Play diverse improvisational roles
d. Play diverse improvisational roles
3. Mintzberg ___________ rational planning approaches to strategy.
4. For Mintzberg, strategy was most likely to be based on __________.
- Following orders
- Creative synthesis
d. Creative synthesis
5. Strategy is the proper preserve of ___________ according to Mintzberg.
- The organizational elites
- The organization’s workers
- Emergent processes
- Trade unions
c. Emergent processes
6. Mintzberg argued that strategy is best thought of as ___________.
- A garbage can
- A stream of decisions made over time
- A rational planning exercise
- A stable fantasy
b. A stream of decisions made over time
7. Which of the following comprise one of Mintzberg’s 5 P’s of strategy?
8. Mintzberg’s critique of strategic planning proposed that it was founded on which of the following flawed assumptions?
- Division of labour
- All of the above
d. All of the above
9. Quinn’s view of strategy is known as:
- Positive incrementalism
- Logical incrementalism
- Positive logicalism
- Logical positivism
b. Logical incrementalism
10. Andrew Pettigrew’s framework of strategic change involves _________, __________ and_________.
- Content, contingencies and control
- Concepts, process and value
- Capital, process and outcomes
- Content, process and context
d. Content, process and context