HRM Supplemental Exercises
Click on the following links. Please note these will open in a new window.
First, read “Work Policies May Be Kinder, but Brutal Competition Isn’t” by Noam Scheiber in The New York Times at https://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/18/business/work-policies-may-be-kinder-but-brutal-competition-isnt.html
Second, watch The happy secret to better work on TED https://www.ted.com/talks/shawn_achor_the_happy_secret_to_better_work/up-next (12 minutes).
After reading Chapter 9 and the materials above, please address the following questions:
- What are some of the advantages and disadvantages of stated policies that encourage work–life balance? Do you think it is realistic for a highly competitive workplace to uphold such policies?
- What is the Cravath system? Why do you think an organization would adopt such a model?
- What is the relationship between happiness and success? Is it counterintuitive to you?
- How can the principles behind the science of happiness be leveraged to improve work performance?
- How might an organization create an environment that is rich in optimism, social support, and the ability to see stress as a challenge instead of as a threat?