HRM Supplemental Exercises
Click on the following links. Please note these will open in a new window.
First, read “Welcome Back: Boomerang Employees Are on the Rise” by Kerry Hanon in Forbes at https://www.forbes.com/sites/kerryhannon/2015/09/07/welcome-back-boomerang-employees-are-on-the-rise/#66784bff6eba
Second, watch How I became an entrepreneur at 66 on TED https://www.ted.com/talks/paul_tasner_how_i_became_an_entrepreneur_at_66#t-403476 (7 minutes).
After reading Chapter 10 and the materials above, please address the following questions:
- Why do you think it’s becoming more acceptable for employers to rehire former employees?
- Can you think of strategic reasons an organization might choose to rehire a former employee over another candidate?
- As an employee, what are some important steps to take in the exit process to increase the likelihood that you could be rehired?
- How might an unexpected termination be a good thing? What are some of the “silver linings” of leaving a job involuntarily?
- What are some reasons that older entrepreneurs in encore careers might be more successful than their younger counterparts?