HRM Supplemental Exercises
Click on the following links. Please note these will open in a new window.
First, read “Data storytelling: The essential Data Science skill everyone needs” by Brent Dykes in Forbes at https://www.forbes.com/sites/brentdykes/2016/03/31/data-storytelling-the-essential-data-science-skill-everyone-needs/#cd7cc3052ad4
Second, watch The beauty of data visualization on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Zg-C8AAIGg (18 minutes).
After reading Chapter 3 and the materials above, please address the following questions:
- Do you think a narrative is an important component of a persuasive argument? Do you think it is equally as important as data and visuals? Why or why not?
- If decisions are based more on emotion than logic, what do you think is the ideal blend of logical data presentation and storytelling to help inform sound decision making?
- Why is context important in data visualization? Do you find that figures are more meaningful to you when presented relative to other data?
- What is meant by “data is the new soil?” What other metaphors might you use to describe data?
- Can you think of a time that data changed your perspective on something? Which was more important: the data itself or the way in which it was presented?