HRM Supplemental Exercises
Click on the following links. Please note these will open in a new window.
First, read “The Next Step in Workplace Wellness Lets Employees Shape a Healthy Culture” by John Daley in Colorado Public Radio News at https://www.cpr.org/news/story/the-next-step-in-workplace-wellness-lets-employees-shape-a-healthy-culture
Second, watch Extraordinary Workplace Wellness Programs on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-QbV_OstxQ (11 minutes).
After reading Chapter 15 and the materials above, please address the following questions:
- Do you think an employee wellness program needs to be costly? Can you think of some simple things that an employer can do to encourage wellness?
- What are some potential benefits of employees being involved in creating their own wellness programs?
- Why does workplace wellness matter? Are there strategic reasons to support a culture of health?
- Sarah Kalamchi, codirector of health and wellness at Next Jump, says “in order to do your best work, you have to first take care of yourself.” Do you agree? Why or why not?
- What role does company culture play in the success of an employee wellness program? What components of culture are most important to health and wellness?