HRM Supplemental Exercises
Click on the following links. Please note these will open in a new window.
First, read “Sometimes a job badly done is the job description’s fault” by Gary B. Cohen in Forbes at https://www.forbes.com/2009/12/07/job-description-review-leadership-managing-employee.html#b49e10248c47
Second, watch Job Crafting on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_igfnctYjA (12 ½ minutes).
After reading Chapter 5 and the materials above, please address the following questions:
- Why do job descriptions often fail to accurately reflect the true roles and responsibilities of a position?
- What steps can an organization take to keep job descriptions relevant and aligned with the organization’s needs?
- What is job crafting? Can you think of examples of how job crafting might relate to employee satisfaction and engagement?
- How does job crafting relate to organizational success? Are there strategic reasons to enable job crafting?
- How can an organization encourage job crafting?