HRM Supplemental Exercises
Click on the following links. Please note these will open in a new window.
First, read “The Internship as Inside Track” by Phyllis Korkki in The New York Times at http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/27/jobs/27searches.html
Second, watch Early in Career at Starbucks on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=34&v=xnHeu0aK3Eg (2 ½ minutes).
After reading Chapter 6 and the materials above, please address the following questions:
- What are some of the benefits of internships from an employer’s standpoint? How about from an intern’s standpoint?
- Why do you think companies are beginning to trust interns to do more meaningful work than the stereotypical “intern tasks” such as getting coffee and making copies?
- Would you consider pursuing an internship? Why or why not?
- Can you think of some strategic reasons that a company like Starbucks would support an internship program?
- What kinds of skills do you think would help a Starbucks intern be successful?