HRM Supplemental Exercises
Click on the following links. Please note these will open in a new window.
First, read “A diverse workforce. An inclusive workplace” by American Express https://www.americanexpress.com/us/content/global-diversity-and-inclusion/
Second, watch Inclusion, exclusion, illusion and collusion: Helen Turnbull on YouTube TEDx Talks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdV8OpXhl2g (13 minutes).
After reading Chapter 4 and the materials above, please address the following questions:
- What do you think are some of the challenges around creating an inclusive workplace for a global company such as American Express?
- What do you make of American Express’s diversity statistics? Do you think their efforts are sufficient or do you see additional room for improvement?
- What is the relationship between the human paradox and the inclusion paradox?
- Is it surprising to you that both men and women perceive men to be more professionally capable? What does this demonstrate about biases?
- What actions might you take to challenge your implicit biases or blind spots?