HRM Supplemental Exercises
Click on the following links. Please note these will open in a new window.
First, read “Unions Are Dead? Why Competition is Paying Off for America’s Best Workers” by Maggie McGrath in Forbes at https://www.forbes.com/sites/maggiemcgrath/2017/12/12/unions-are-dead-why-competition-is-paying-off-for-americas-best-workers/#2c774faa578a
Second, watch The way we think about work is broken on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B_1itqCKHo (8 minutes).
After reading Chapter 14 and the materials above, please address the following questions:
- What are some reasons organizations with good employee relations might be more profitable?
- Do you think having a nonunionized workforce encourages employers to go above and beyond with their employee relations? Explain.
- Do you agree with the statement that “Companies can achieve incredible results when all employees are given the opportunity to think, act and participate as owners of the business?” Why or why not?
- What can organizations do to make their employees’ work challenging, engaging, stimulating, meaningful, and important? Do you think this is important for employee morale?
- What do you think Barry Schwartz means by “We design human nature by designing the institutions within which people live and work?” Do you agree?