HRM Supplemental Exercises
Click on the following links. Please note these will open in a new window.
First, read “The top five HR trends for 2017” by Steffen Maier in Fast Company at https://www.fastcompany.com/3066976/the-top-five-hr-trends-for-2017
Second, watch HR meets science at Google with Prasad Setty on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY8v-O5Buyc (17 minutes).
After reading Chapter 1 and the materials above, please address the following questions:
- What trends do you see that may affect businesses in the future?
- What trends do you see that may affect HRM in the future?
- What do you think “All people decisions at Google are based on data and analytics!” means in practice? What are the pros and cons of such an approach?
- Why do you think an organization like Google would encourage self-reflection in the interest of professional development? Can you imagine how a business might derive value from its employees becoming more self-aware?
- How do you think gratitude interacts with job satisfaction and performance? Are the preliminary findings of the gDNA study surprising to you? Why or why not?