1. Be able to describe what opportunity costs are and how the evaluation of such costs impacts negotiation.
2. Articulate the definition of BATNA, including what BATNAs are and what BATNAs are not.
3. Analyze negotiations in terms of the two reasons BATNAs can be impactful in negotiation—through negotiator confidence and through resource-based power.
4. Distinguish BATNAs from offers and compromises.
5. Provide examples of how BATNAs can be improved.
6. Recognize and utilize negotiation tactics based on alternatives.
7. Debate the ethical implications of leveraging BATNA, or using knowledge of another’s BATNA to take advantage of them.