After reading Chapter 8, you should be able to:
- Define attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
- Describe the historical evolution of the concept of ADHD.
- List possible etiological factors associated with ADHD.
- Identify learning characteristics and social-emotional issues typical of persons with ADHD.
- Explain how ADHD is diagnosed.
- Discuss instructional and environmental modifications typically used with pupils who have ADHD.
- Describe the role of stimulant medication in treating individuals with ADHD.
- Summarize the impact of ADHD on adolescents and adults.