After reading Chapter 1, you should be able to:
- Define exceptional children, disability, handicapped, developmentally delayed, at risk, and special education.
- Identify the thirteen disability categories recognized by the federal government.
- Compare prevalence and incidence.
- Describe the historical evolution of services for children and adults with disabilities.
- Summarize the related services available to students with disabilities.
- Contrast the differences between multi-, inter-, and transdisciplinary team models.
- Describe common instructional models of cooperative teaching.
- Identify key dimensions of universal design for learning.
- Summarize the services typically available to infants/toddlers, preschoolers, adolescents, and adults with disabilities.