After reading Chapter 12, you should be able to:
- Define hearing impairment, deaf, and hard of hearing.
- Contrast conductive and sensorineural hearing loss.
- Explain the various assessment procedures used to measure hearing loss.
- Describe the difference between prelingual and postlingual hearing impairments.
- Summarize the historical evolution of educational services for children and youth with hearing impairments.
- List possible causes of hearing loss.
- Identify representative academic, social, and language characteristics of individuals with hearing impairments.
- Compare among oral, manual, and total communication approaches for instructing students with hearing impairments.
- Describe the concept of the Deaf culture.
- Summarize educational services for persons with hearing impairments across the life span.
- Explain how technology benefits individuals with hearing impairments.