After reading Chapter 4, you should be able to:
- Discuss the evolution of parent professional partnerships.
- Describe the four key elements of a family systems model for understanding the impact of a disability on the family constellation.
- Identify the emotional responses associated with the stages of parents’ reaction to their child’s disability.
- Summarize the effects of an individual with a disability on family members.
- Explain how a family’s cultural and linguistic background influences its reaction to a disability.