This chapter will help you:
- Explain why library research is a necessary preliminary to your own research.
- Illustrate the difference between relevant information and quality information.
- Describe with examples the difference between search engines and databases.
- Summarize the difference between scholarly, popular, and trade publications.
- List the differences between primary and secondary sources.
- Summarize the difference between search terms and search fields.
- Identify key questions you might ask to assess whether an item of information is credible.
- Discuss the concept of Boolean logic and its use in database research.
- Explain the purpose and nature of a scholarly literature review.
- Identify bibliographic software available for assisting a literature search.