After reading this chapter, you should be able to:
- Explain the importance of law enforcement interactions with the courts.
- Describe the major issues related to due process, especially as it relates to search and seizure.
- Identify how and when a search or arrest warrant can be obtained.
- Provide examples of court decisions that have limited police searches and seizures and the concepts associated, such as probable cause, reasonable suspicion, and the exclusionary rule.
- Identify the major landmark cases related directly to how police conduct searches with an emphasis on warrants.
- Summarize cases related to the right to counsel at trial.