After reading this chapter, you should be able to:
- Describe the organization and structure of a typical police department and summarize the responsibilities of patrol.
- Explain the differences between discrimination and discretion in police work.
- Identify unique characteristics of the subculture of policing.
- Differentiate community policing from traditional approaches.
- Summarize the relationship between the use of force continuum and suspects' behavior.
- Prepare arguments for and against the use of new technologies in police work.