After reading this chapter, you should be able to:
- Summarize the influence of early English policing on policing and the increasing professionalizatino of policing in the United States over time.
- Identify how the nature of policing in the United States has changed over time.
- Evaluate the contributions of August Vollmer and the International Association of Chiefs of Police on policing in the United States.
- Review the role of women and blacks in early policing.
- Identify the sources and consequences of the unrest in policing during the 1960s and 1970s.
- Summarize how policing has become more than just law enforcement, and offer ideas as to the direction of the future of policing in the United States.