After reading this chapter, you should be able to:
- Describe the conditions and attitudes influencing prison subcultures.
- Discuss the differences between the three models used to explain inmate subcultures.
- Identify the five pains of imprisonment and explain how they shape inmate behavior.
- List the advantages and disadvantages of solitary confinement.
- Identify and propose measures that can be used to control prison violence.
- Discuss the methods through which successful reentry might be achieved.