After reading this chapter, you should be able to:
- Summarize the historical development of the law and explain the reforms introduced by the Classical School.
- Identify the basic principles associated with the rule of law.
- Explain the goals of the law and distinguish between the different types of law.
- Differentiate misdemeanors and felonies.
- Review the types of criminal defenses available to defendants.
- Distinguish the importance of victim rights and their role in the criminal justice system.