After reading this chapter, you should be able to:
- Summarize the history of institutional corrections.
- Evaluate the current perspectives in institutional corrections.
- Differentiate how incarcerated females (compared with males) have been dealt with the United States and how incarceration differs for male and female inmates.
- Assess the differences in security levels and the instutions designed to deal with each.
- Differentiate the advantages and disadvantages of private prisons.
- Summarize advances in technology institutional corrections and the benefits it offers.