After reading this chapter, you should be able to:
- Identify three categories of research design: experimental, quasi-experimental, and nonexperimental.
- Explain how a gradient of control can be used to understand research design.
- Define and explain internal and external validity.
- Describe three elements of control required in an experiment.
- Describe factors that threaten the internal validity of a research study.
- Describe factors that threaten the external validity of a research study.
- Define and explain mundane and experimental realism.