After reading this chapter, you should be able to:
- Define research ethics.
- Trace the history leading to the Nuremberg Code and state the 10 directives listed in the code.
- Trace the history leading to the Belmont Report and state the three ethical principles listed in the report.
- Identify the ethical concerns for two landmark studies in psychology: Milgram’s obedience experiments and the Stanford prison study.
- Describe the role of the IRB in regulating ethical research with human participants.
- Describe the standards in the APA code of conduct relating to human participant research.
- Describe the standards in the AERA Code of Ethics relating to scientific integrity.