After reading this chapter, you should be able to:
- State two reasons why it is important to summarize data.
- Define descriptive statistics and explain how they are used to describe data.
- Identify and construct tables and graphs for frequency distributions.
- Identify and describe the different types of frequency distributions.
- Identify and appropriately use the mean, median, and mode to describe data.
- Identify and appropriately use the variance and standard deviation to describe data.
- Define and apply the empirical rule.
- Identify and construct graphs used to display group means and correlations.
- Use Cronbach’s alpha and Cohen’s kappa to estimate reliability.
- Distinguish between standard scores, z scores, percentile ranks, and age/grade equivalents.