After reading this chapter, you should be able to:
- Define qualitative research.
- Distinguish between the holistic perspectives of qualitative and quantitative research.
- Understand the three prominent theoretical perspectives of qualitative researchers.
- Identify the steps involved in qualitative research.
- Describe the four possible roles of the qualitative researcher.
- Distinguish between the different types of sampling procedures for qualitative research.
- List the three main types of data collection in qualitative research.
- Describe how qualitative observations are different from quantitative observations.
- Identify three key questions of concern for the use of the Internet as a method for selecting samples in qualitative research.