After you have read this chapter:
1. You will be able to understand how society determines cruel and unusual punishment.
2. You will be able to distinguish between the types of sentences, such as mandatory minimum sentences and sex offender registries.
3. You will be able to understand suspended sentences, such as probation and parole.
4. Identify the bifurcated death-penalty trial and sentencing process.
5. You will be able to summarize the legal requirements for habeas corpus review and claims of “actual innocence.”