After you have read this chapter:
1. You will be able to competently discuss the difference between protected and unprotected speech.
2. You will understand the significance of symbolic speech and how to achieve public order without suppressing speech and expression.
3. You will be able to properly identify obscenity.
4. You will be able to articulate the legal restrictions on free speech rights in public schools, employment, and prisons.
5. You will be able to make sense of the limits of a secular government’s relationship with religion with respect to criminal law and procedure.