After studying this chapter, you will be able to:
- Discuss the development of television from its invention to HDTV today.
- Explain how cable/satellite television, recorders such as VCRs and DVRs, and the adoption of digital television have transformed the television industry.
- Discuss the issue of racial and ethnic diversity on television.
- Identify three key reasons why viewers watch television.
- Discuss the problem of broadcast decency, using examples.
- Explain how streaming video services are changing TV in the twenty-first century.