After studying this chapter, you will be able to:
- Explain the importance of the Saturday Evening Post in the development of the mass media in the United States.
- Describe the key characteristics of trade, literary, and consumer magazines.
- Illustrate how magazines have given a voice to different groups of people.
- Discuss the role that magazines and magazine ads play in defining people’s body image.
- Describe what is meant by “native advertising” and why it is controversial.
- Discuss the major trends in twenty-first-century magazine publishing.