After studying this chapter, you will be able to:
- Discuss different media standards around the world by using four normative theories of the press.
- Explain the usefulness of a more recent “development theory” for describing the press in the twenty-first century.
- Explain the importance of social media and other “small media” in the Middle East.
- Describe the dangers journalists face when reporting from conflict zones.
- Discuss whether Marshall McLuhan’s concept of the “global village” is relevant to the media world today.