After studying this chapter, you will be able to:
- Describe the development of a free press in the United States.
- Discuss the limits that have been placed on free expression and other First Amendment rights, including those put in place since September 11, 2001.
- Explain the three elements that must be present for libel to occur and the four major defenses against libel.
- Name the four major forms of invasion of privacy.
- Discuss the issue of whether the press can be legally required to behave ethically using three Supreme Court case examples.
- Explain how the media industry is controlled through copyright law, broadcast, and Internet regulation.