After studying this chapter, you will be able to:
- Describe two major reasons why advertising grew dramatically in importance during the nineteenth century.
- Define what “advertising” is using examples of six different types of advertisements.
- Describe the four major groups in the advertising business and the key characteristics of each.
- Explain how advertisers use demographics and psychographics to target their audience.
- Name four common misconceptions about the advertising industry.
- Discuss the controversies surrounding advertising directed at children.
- Discuss how companies are using integrated marketing communication (IMC) to promote their brands.