After studying this chapter, you will be able to:
- Discuss the development of the book from earliest pictograph to mass-produced publication.
- Describe two major cultural changes that took place with the development of the typemold and printing press.
- Explain the functions of each of the three major players in the book publishing and distribution business.
- Discuss the tension between “popular” books and “great” books.
- Describe three ways in which the long tail is transforming the book business.