After studying this chapter, you will be able to:
- Explain how Internet technology developed.
- Identify the three levels of communication on the Internet.
- Describe three defining components of the World Wide Web and the nine principles on which it is based.
- Describe five characteristics of social media.
- Explain how legacy media are reacting to the growth of new online media.
- Describe the four elements of the hacker ethic and how they apply to the contemporary Internet.
- Discuss conflicts over content, intellectual property, and privacy on the Web.