After studying this chapter, you will be able to:
- Define five major ethical principles affecting journalism.
- Explain the Bok model for ethical decision making.
- Explain the kinds of difficulties journalists and media writers have encountered in attempting to be truthful.
- Discuss the ethical issues related to sensationalism in the news.
- Explain how journalists can get into trouble trying to report on rapidly breaking stories.
- Explain how and why advertisers attempt to control the media in which they place their ads.
- D iscuss the ethical conflict in public relations between serving the client and serving the public.