After studying this chapter, you will be able to:
- Discuss how public relations developed from press agentry to a profession.
- Describe the three major functions of public relations.
- Explain the five components of the ROPES public relations process.
- Explain how a public relations professional should deal with a crisis.
- Explain how the Internet has changed the public relations process.
- Discuss how public relations shapes the news we receive and our view of politicians.
- Describe how political activists use public relations to promote their causes.