After studying this chapter, you will be able to:
- Describe how major developments in audio technology changed how people experience music.
- Explain how rock ’n’ roll developed out of two different music traditions.
- Explain how radio transformed from a channel for interpersonal communication to one for mass communication.
- Describe how different recording formats have given rise to concerns about the purchasing of music.
- Discuss how long-tail audio technology is changing the radio and recording industry for everyone from music fans to international stars.