Click on the following links. Please note these will open in a new window.
- “‛Ban the Box’ Laws, Do They Help Job Applicants With Criminal Histories?”
To help ex-felons land jobs, many states have enacted a law that prevents employers from asking applicants to check a box to reveal criminal history, but the intended effect of these laws might not be realized.
- “In Panama, Restoring Streets and Reforming Gangs at the Same Time”
Like its Central American neighbors, Panama is dealing with a rise in gangs, but a hotel developer has taken on several of the gangs in his neighborhood, offering them rehabilitation, jobs, and hope.
- SOCIOLOGY—Émile Durkheim
A video about Émile Durkheim and his sociological view on crime.
- Robert Agnew on Strain Theory and the American Society for Criminology
This video reviews Merton’s strain theory as well as Agnew’s general strain theory and its approaches.
- Christopher Dorner Manhunt: Search for Ex-LAPD Cop Goes On Amid California Snowstorms
This news clip covers the story of the police search for Christopher Dorner.
- A community Safety Net to Prevent Rampage Shootings: Bernice Pescosolido at TEDxBloomington
This video is about policies developed to provide social safety from crime.
- Law Enforcement Tries to Curb Increasing Gang Violence in LA, OC Counties
Authorities attended a conference in Garden Grove in an effort to stop increasing gang violence in Orange and Los Angeles counties.
- The Great Moldovan bank robbery
An in-depth look at how a bank robbery affected a city as a whole, including economically.
This article discusses strain theory and applies it to our modern society.
- Extreme Body Modification
A photo gallery of extreme body modification.
A recent case of blackmail as reported by the New York Daily News.
CBS Local reports on a robbery in Baltimore.
A news story on necrophilia.
- Paraphilias— Furries
A news source on the furry paraphilia and subculture.