Click on the following links. Please note these will open in a new window.
- “The ‘Shock of Confinement’: The Grim Reality of Suicide in Jail”
About 1,000 people die in American jails every year and about a third of those are suicides. Jails often house people who’ve never been in legal trouble before, and it can have a traumatic effect.
- “Revisiting the Last Witch Trial”
Marking the 300th anniversary of the last witch trial held in North America. Yale history professor John Demos tells Liane Hansen about the circumstances surrounding the last witch trial.
- “Help Wanted: The Philippines Needs More Exorcists”
The Office of Exorcism reports a sharp increase in cases over the past decade—more than its five-man team can handle. Warning: It’s a high-stress job. The priests believe the demons strike back.
- Tracey Meares (1 of 6): Understanding Deterrence and Legitimacy in Law Enforcement
This interview followed the presentation “Don’t Jump the Shark: Understanding Deterrence and Legitimacy in the Architecture of Law Enforcement” given as part of NIJ’s Research for the Real World Seminar Series.
- Philosophy-Ethics: Utilitarianism, Part 1
In this Wireless Philosophy video, Julia Markovits (Cornell University) gives an introduction to the moral theory of utilitarianism.
- Crime and Punishment: Guilty as Charred Tony Robinson
This video discusses the ancient punishments for crimes in medieval England.
- Death in Cell 49: How the Prison System Lost Track of Nelson Rodriguez
This video is about the suicide of an inmate in isolation.
- Methods of Execution—Death Row: The Final 24 Hours
The methods used to prepare for an execution are described.
A recent news article discusses the rampant prevalence and need for exorcism.
The Malaysian Parliament seeks to introduce stoning and amputations as restitution for crimes.
The New York Times published an article on the long-standing effects of torture on prisoners.
Religious leader orders a woman to be dismembered as a punishment for violating the religious laws.
An Israeli woman is publicly flogged for standing too close to her partner.