Learning Check Answers
Answers to the Learning Check boxes within the text are provided here for your reference.
Learning Check 7.1
1. According to Freud, this is also designated as a conscience.
- The ego
- The superego
- The libido
- The id
2. According to Kohlberg, this level of morality is characteristic of designating what is considered “right” and “wrong.”
3. According to Eysenck, which of the following is not associated with one of the three dimensions linked to criminality?
Learning Check 7.2
1. Goddard maintained intelligence or IQ . . .
- Was influenced by one’s environment
- Was influenced by one’s socialization
- Was static or innate
- Did not influence criminality
2. Wilson and Herrstein argued that street crime is associated with human nature and maintained that human nature develops and evolves from the interaction of three factors. Which of the following is NOT one of these three factors?
- Social environment
- Peer relationships
- Family relationships
- Biological makeup
3. According to Cleckley, this is an individual who displays certain characteristics that are maladaptive and pathological as well as key traits that appear ostensibly adaptive, or at least nonpathological.
Learning Check 7.3
1. Some have referred to the “in and out” of prison and/or jail among offenders with mental health disorders as . . .
- The downward spiral
- The revolving door
- The elevator system of justice
- The inverted sieve
2. Mental health courts were modeled after . . .
- American Psychological Association’s Model Health Court
- Civil court procedures
- Drug courts
- Family courts
3. For this standard, the court included a volitional, or a free choice, component to the insanity defense.
- M’Naghten Rule
- Irresistible Impulse