Click on the following links. Please note these will open in a new window.
- “FBI: Murders Up Nearly 11 Percent in 2015; Violent Crime Rose Slightly”
Experts say homicides and other violence remain at low rates compared with a crime wave from 20 years ago.
- “Historians Mine 400 Years of Crime Data at the Old Bailey”
Analyzing records from London’s oldest criminal court reveals how Western society has viewed violent crime over time.
- Janet Lauritsen (1 of 3): What is the National Crime Victimization Survey?
This short clip explains the process of the National Crime Victimization Survey and how the data are representative of the population.
- Crime Statistics: The Dark Figure
This is a short video that looks at the so-called “dark figure” of crime—crimes that are committed in our society but which never appear in the official recorded crime statistics.
- What is a Hate Crime?
An explanation of how a hate crime is defined is provided.
- Not there for your children? Gangs will be.
This news clip interviews several gang members and how kids can easily be influenced into joining. Begin video at 30 seconds.
- Study Highlights a New Epidemic of Drug Abuse that is a Growing Problem Among US Teens
A recent study published in the Journal of Public Policy and Marketing highlights an “epidemic” of prescription drug abuse among U.S. teens.
- Federal Bureau of Prisons—Inmate Statistics
Contains regularly updated data about inmates of American prisons.
- Bureau of Justice Statistics Program Report—September 2014
This report details the two measures of national crime: the FBI’s Uniform Crime Reporting Program and the Bureau of Justice Statistics’ National Crime Victimization Survey.
- Crime in the United States
A publication of the FBI explaining both the Uniform Crime Reporting Program and the National Crime Victimization Survey.
- Prison Overcrowding
The Pew Research Center released data about the problem of prison overcrowding with supporting data.
This site displays publications reporting data for criminal occurrences, updated crime definitions, and statistical findings year by year from the FBI.
- Crime Mapping
This article and included links on the page show an ongoing communication between law enforcement and the public about crime statistics and happenings in order to create a safer environment for everyone.