After reading this chapter, you should be able to:
- Identify the four steps of hypothesis testing.
- Define null hypothesis, alternative hypothesis, level of significance, test statistic, p value, and statistical significance.
- Define Type I error and Type II error, and identify the type of error that researchers control.
- Calculate the one-sample z test and interpret the results.
- Distinguish between a one-tailed test and a two-tailed test, and explain why a Type III error is possible only with one-tailed tests.
- Elucidate effect size and compute a Cohen’s d for the one-sample z test.
- Define power and identify six factors that influence power.
- Summarize the results of a one-sample z test in APA format.