After reading this chapter, you should be able to:
- Distinguish between descriptive and inferential statistics.
- Explain how samples and populations, as well as a sample statistic and population parameter, differ.
- Describe three research methods commonly used in behavioral science.
- State the four scales of measurement and provide an example for each.
- Distinguish between variables that are qualitative or quantitative.
- Distinguish between variables that are discrete or continuous.
- Enter data into SPSS by placing each group in separate columns and each group in a single column (coding is required).