After studying this chapter, you should be able to:
- Explain the difference between mechanistic and organic organizations and the environments in which they are more effective.
- Contrast formal and informal authority, centralized and decentralized authority, and line and staff authority.
- Define what an organization chart is, list the four aspects of a firm that it shows, and describe the four traditional departmentalization designs.
- Discuss the two multiple forms of departmentalization and five contemporary designs.
- Classify each of the nine job designs under the three job design option categories.
- Explain how to set priorities by answering three priority-determination questions, and list the four steps in the delegation process.